Friday, May 4, 2012

Selecting the right Video card and memory for my computer?

I'm trying to add a 2nd monitor to my desktop and I don't know how to pick one. What are the important things I need to look at or look for?|||Look for the word "monitor" on the box.|||Well, memory I'm assuming you mean RAM? You'll probably need DDR2 RAM. You can download and run CPUz and find the Memory tab to check speed, type (ddr, ddr2), and if you have any slots open.



The video card will depend on the motherboard slots. You'll need either AGP or PCIe (PCI Express), rarely PCI if you have a very old PC (5+ years old). You can probably tell the slot by taking the side off (2 screws in the back and it slides off).



You should have a couple 2-4 PCI slots, these are normally white and are near the bottom. AGP slot will be at the top and will be offset compared to the PCI slots. PCI Express will be at the top and will start equal to the PCI slots and will extend farther back than them. You can go to Yahoo/Google images and look at pictures for confirmation.



Once you have the video installed, you can hook 2 monitors to it.



If you're confused about the slot, take a pictures, upload it to tinypic, or something like that, and send me a link through my Yahoo profile.|||it really depends on how rigarous you are gonna be with it.

i had an 8600 with 2 gigs and i ran dual monitor. but that was over a year ago and when i played games i turned off the second monitor. (i dont know if i needed to, i just did)

No comments:

Post a Comment