Monday, May 7, 2012

Good Video Card for my Desktop (e-Machine T5010)?

I have an e-Machine T5010, it originally came with an integrated graphics processor (Intel GMA 900). 2.93GHz CPU, 533MHz FSB, 512 MB of DDR SDRAM, & a 300W power Supply. http://www.emachines.com/support/product…



I opened it and found that it has 2 PCI slots and a PCI-express (1x).

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff327…



I want to use my computer as a home media center to watch and record Cable TV. I will be buying a TV tuner card and suspect that I will need a good video card to go along with it. I will also be upgrading the RAM, would 2GB be sufficient? (it can support up to 4GB)



What Specs should my new video card have? Any good suggestions?|||>suspect that I will need a good video card to go along with it.



Any dedicated card will do it fine. If you want your home theatre PC to be silent, you should look for a video card that is passively cooled (i.e. No fan)



Since your PC is going to be used to play videos only, video card specifications aren't really going to be a concern.



I suggest:



$35 Radeon HD 4350, PCI, passively cooled, 300w power requirement



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



>I will also be upgrading the RAM, would 2GB be sufficient?



If it's running Windows XP, 2 GB is sufficient.



However DDR RAM is expensive and extremely hard to find, as it's obsolete and not being produced anymore.

I don't recommend getting more than 1 GB total, as it will cost you a fortune.|||Have a look at the http://www.newegg.com/Product/… if you want a PCI card.

Report Abuse


|||ATI Radeon HD4350 comes to my mind when I think about HTPC. It's passively cooled and it runs extremely well for its price. Newegg.com should have it.|||The 300 watt psu kind of limits you as to what card you can use. Go to nvidia.com it lists all of their cards and the min specs for each one. Radeon/ati has a similar site for their cards but it isn't set up as well and doesn't list the min specs. Off the top of my head about the best that you are going to be able to run is about a nvidia 9500 gt or one of the lower end gt 200 series like a 210 or 220. I'm assuming that you are running windows XP as you only have 512 mb of ram so 2g would be a vast improvement but when it comes to ram "more is faster".

No comments:

Post a Comment