Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Video Card / Desktop PC Compatibility Question.?

I'm currently looking to replace my desktop computer. I already have the monitor and other external accessories, so I figure my best bet is to go with a bundle from Future Shop / Best Buy.



Now, I need a bit of help regarding video card compatibility, without too much technological mumbo-jumbo, because I'm not too talented with that stuff.



Here's a desktop that's in my price-range (actually, even a bit over my price range):



HP Pavilion AMD Phenom X4 9550 Quad-Core 2.2GHz Computer (A6650F) ($749.99)



(Link: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10114689&catid=)



Now, I plan on playing World of Warcraft: WotLK pretty extensively, enough to warrant having a high powered, quiet, and durable card to run it at full video settings at a high resolution.



Here's a video card I'm considering upgrading to:

BFG Geforce 8600 GTS 256MB PCIe Video Card ($143.99)



(Link: http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10098942&catid=)



Now I have 2 questions:



1) Can this video card be attached to the motherboard of this computer without a problem? This is my main problem, I haven't ever really learned about motherboard compatibility, and I don't want to make a mistake in purchasing this card.



2) Do you believe that buying this card is a good investment, or would the one built into the PC do an excellent job for WotLK since it's based on a game from 2004?



If you can answer even 1 of these questions, I'd be very appreciative! Thanks a lot.|||Hi, firstly, the standard graphics on that pc (i used the cat. number to find the pc) are integrated - which will not run any newer games (inc. WoW). The card you have picked out is compatible, however it's not a particullarly good card for gaming. You really want to be looking at an nvidia 9600gt minimum to make it a worthwhile investment. If necessary, i would strongly suggest getting a computer with a cheaper processor (barely anything utilizes even 2 cores let alone 4) unless you plan on doing any heavy video editing and put the saved money into a better graphics card - which is THE most important feature where gaming is concerned.



As long as the processor is a dual core, preferably an intel one clocked over 2.4Ghz, it will be more than enough for a good long while.



Hope that helps|||I cant actually open the link but I would go with a PCI-E video card. The motherboards video card is actually weaker then a PCi-E equivalent in most cases, although i would recommend a 9600gt or 9800 gtx



It is a nice card, reasonably powerful, good price, good all round.



AS for your motherboard, i haven't heard of a reasonable desktop on the market then can't support a PCI-E video Card you should be fine for that



And go somewhere else for the video card like newegg or tigerdirect|||Ok



Well you first problem is none of the links work =D



Second problem is we can't tell you unless we know what motherboard you have, and what power supply you have.



I am guessing that your computer is about 2-3 years old so I think the card should fit in the slot, but yo might need a special slot for it to work ( that slot comes off your power supply.



Also I think you should upgrade and get the 9800 GTX



Its a way better card for the same price.



http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as…



you can email me at wdlax11@gmail.com



just send me what motherboard you have and I will tell you.



From what I assume it should work if your motherboard has a PCIe slot


No comments:

Post a Comment